Saturday, September 20, 2014

Chapter 1 - Where Am I?

We sat down at the long table: the man at the head, the woman and I opposite one another on benches.

   “My name is Sam Egan.   This is my wife, Sarah.  What is your name?

 “Renee.”

   They looked at me: obviously not a common name around here.

   “Twining,” I added, as if that would make a difference.

     “Well, Miss Twining, how is it I came to find you lying in the middle of my ranch?”  Mr. Egan asked, rather sarcastically. 

      Sarah frowned at him.

   And then my mind began to spin.  What should I say The truth?  Where I was from?  What I thought had happened Should I ask if I were dreaming Or dead?

   “I don’t know,” I heard myself carefully reply.

   Before I could think of something else to say, Sam blurted out, “Where are you from, Miss?
   “Agoura Hills, California.” 

   Oops!  Should I have said the state?  By the look on their faces probably not.

   “California?”  Mrs. Egan repeated.

   “Then how did you get all the way to Arizona about a hundred miles from the nearest train depot?” Mr. Egan prodded.

No comments:

Post a Comment