Thursday, September 18, 2014

Chapter 1 - Where Am I?

I could have buried my face into the base of his neck and the length of his hair.  Instead, I timidly put my arms around his small waist and clenched my arms as he jerked his horse into motion.

     We rode across his dry land, my arms hugging him, breathing him in, completely silent.

     ‘If I am dreaming,’ I thought, ‘I don’t want to wake up.’

   Then a homestead came into view on the flat horizon.   I saw a rancher-style house made of board and batten wood with a smoking, stone chimney and a meager porch supported by crude beams clearly cut out of thin tree trunks.

   A plain, wood barn sat at the distant left with chickens bopping about it freely.   Someone came out of the front door of the house in a long, dark blue skirt covered by a white, waist apron (with eyelet at the bottom pretty!) and a high collared, prairie blouse.


   ‘He’s married,’ my brain reasoned, ‘Dang.’

No comments:

Post a Comment