Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Chapter 1 - Where Am I?

I felt my Bible faced down on my stomach.  That’s right!  I had been reading it when I fell asleep.  Harsh sunlight pried my eyes open and I was immediately blinded but a dark figure blocking the sun.  My vision sharpened and the figure became clear; it was a man crouching over me. 

   He had a rugged, chiseled face with high cheekbones framed by an auburn mustache and beard.  I’d never seen anyone who looked quite like him before.  I was much taken and could scarcely look away.  His eyes were shadowed, though, by a dusty, leather hat with a wide brim.

     He muttered something then said it again.  I heard him clearly the second time.

     “Are you all right?” 

     “I think so.  Where am I?”  I asked.

     “You’re on my ranch.”


     Warily, I pulled myself up to look around. I was still in my night clothes: grey pajama pants and a turquoise, thermal hoodie bought for day wear but destined to become a night shirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment