Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Chapter 1 - Where Am I?

     Sitting up I saw dirt ground patched with dry grass as far as the eye could see. I spotted some cows or bulls in the distance.  Definitely not Agoura Hills, California.  This was a more arid and rocky terrain, not the rolling green and yellow hills I was used to, freckled with oak trees and wild flowers.

     Then I took a good look at this man.  His clothes were old (antique old).  And dirty enough.  The material of his soft, dark blue shirt looked thin and just different.  It was tucked in rough, black pants (denim or canvas, I couldn’t be sure).  He wore brown leather suspenders and black, dirt-caked boots.  And his scent! He was close enough to smell it: a mixture of sweat and leather.  I took him in with a deep breath and was fully here.

     Timidly, I reached out to touch his arm.  He was real.  This could not be a dream.  I was completely awake.  I know I was.  He braced me as I got up on legs I began to feel.  I was barefoot on the hot ground.  Stones pricked my burning feet.

     He observed me hopping about as he pulled up a saddled horse as black as night save a white diamond shape on its forehead. I thought I heard him call the horse “Grant”.

   “Better get you on him,” he said.

   He put his hands around the back of my waist and hoisted me up. I fiddled with the one stirrup and clumsily swinging my other leg over Grant’s back.  The man hopped on his saddle in front of me.


   “Hold on to me,” he instructed.

No comments:

Post a Comment